Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mustard Sauce (and scallops)

I've been to several cooking classes taught by Top Chef contestants, one of which was Harold Dieterle. He made this fabulous mustard sauce and served it over seared tuna. I couldn't wait to replicate the sauce. I took home the recipe sheet and it only sat a day or two before I gathered the ingredients for my first attempt. First ingredient: 1 bottle of rice vinegar. Huh. Note to self: read the measurements first. It was quickly obvious that the recipe was originally for a restaurant-sized portion and some ingredients had been adjusted, but not all. I did my best at this point and, while I used nowhere close to the entire bottle of vinegar, the finished product ended up in the trash. I spent the next year often reminiscing about the elusive mustard sauce until I finally decided to give it another go. Fan-freaking-tastic. I served it over seared scallops and challenge you to serve this and not lick your plate (or the spoon or the pot...).
Ingredients
1/8 c rice vinegar
1/4 onion minced or small dice (less if you aren't as big of an onion fan as I am (see previous post)
1 1/4 c cream (I mixed cream and half and half to cut some fat/calories)
1/2 stick of butter
2 T dry mustard (mix with a little water before adding to get lumps out)
1 t soy
1 t sugar
1 T chives, minced

  • In a saucepan cook the rice vinegar and onions down on medium heat until almost all of the vinegar is cooked out

  • Turn the heat down to low, add the cream and reduce by half

  • Slowly whisk in butter

  • Add the soy and mustard, whisk until smooth

  • Add chives and serve over chicken, fish or shellfish


  • My seared scallops with mustard sauce 
    Harold's Nori crusted Tuna with mustard sauce
    Harold, me and Ilan 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment